Monday, January 14, 2013

Skydive AFF jump #5

I'v returned for my second day in a row with some time in the sky.  I'm excited for today I will be making my first solo, unassisted exit but first... I must complete this level 5 jump

#5 Jump objectives:

-Make a stable exit while instructor holds my right side
-Find stability and check in with instructor, he gives a thumbs up
-Instructor moves in front, face to face, and nods indicating its okay to begin spins
-Check altimeter
-Initiate left 360 degree spin and stop facing instructor
-Check altimeter
-Instructor nods indicating its okay to begin opposite spin
-Check altimeter
-Initiate right 360 degree spin and stop facing instructor
-Check altimeter

Depending on your altitude, your instructor may have you continue your spins.

After a much better exit than my last, I find stability almost instantly allowing us to begin.  I was extremely aggressive with my spins using heavy pitched arm movements creating very fast turns.  And even in the speed of the spin I was able to stop on target (facing the instructor) each time.  I find that I have a better understanding on how your body affects the air and how the air affects the body.  My belly position is almost natural now and I feel a lot more in control although I'm well aware that I have a lot left to learn.  Like anything, there is endless knowledge available to absorb in pursuit of perfection.

I never even hear a voice speak to me over the radio as I follow the landing pattern down and reunite safely with the earth.  I get a high 5 and am informed that I no longer need a radio on me for my landing technique is fine.  I just have to remember to always be aware of people around me before making any sudden movements, follow the designated landing pattern and land in the designated area according to the winds direction.  The responsibility of properly executing these tasks is not to be ignored for the safety of others around you can be compromised with poor or lazy judgment.

As I return to the hanger, I turn in my radio and am overcome with a lonely feeling.  Even though my last couple jumps have required little or no communication, there is a sense of security knowing someone is there.  But I guess thats growing up in the sky people community :)

Time for some flips and my first solo exit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment