Monday, January 14, 2013

Skydive AFF Jump #3

Still exhilarated from my skydive, that took place 5 minutes ago, I strap on another parachute!  And to up the energy a little, I know that as long as I keep good body position and maintain stability, my instructors will actually let me go and I'm to fall without direct assistance unless needed.  I am so jazzed at this point, I  can't stop smiling.  As I wait for the plane to return to the hanger for our next ride, I find myself intrigued for the environment here is so amazing.  There are professional jumpers everywhere that are a bread of their own.  Everyone seems to value life more deeply as everyone is extremely active.  Rock climbers, skiers/snowboarders, hikers, travelers, wake boarders, pilots, base jumpers...  Its as if related or not, they are one big family of extreme people that create a humbling atmosphere I can't help but be drawn to.  The plane arrives and we load up.

As we ascend to 13,500 ft, I talk with people on the plane, have some laughs and before I know it, we are already at 8,000 ft.  My nerves are extremely calm allowing my focus not to be disrupted by my excitement.  The more aware I can remain the more I'm able to see, feel and learn.  The plane slows to jumping speed as the green light comes on and the door opens.

Check in
Check out
Up
Down
Out

Sweet exit right into a stable position.  I practice my pull sequence 3 times and check altitude.  I am trying so hard to keep stable as I feel one instructor let me go.  I begin to smile beyond my control as the other instructor releases.  I am free falling, unassisted.  As an instructor flys in front of me, it becomes even more real.  While in free fall, you are to keep your head up and look forward at the horizon for proper air flow around the head and neck area.  Looking down or to the sides improperly can cause your body to spin or dive.  You never really pay mind to your instructors unless they are giving you hand signals for they are just out of your peripheral vision during free fall.  But to witness the fall, while observing another skydiver in air, brings me an entire new perspective of this sports potential.

As I approach pulling altitude, I focus as I'm to pull my chute while my body position is unassisted by my instructors.  As I wave of I begin to spin slightly.  As I reach back I begin to spin more... I hesitate...  In a split second my thoughts are... "don't pull while your spinning.  Correct your body position... WAIT... no... your at pull altitude... Pull it."  The most important task for a skydiver during free fall is
* PULL.  Though I was rotating slightly, my parachute deployed as its suppose to as I watch my instructors fly away from me.  THAT was awesome.

If your spinning while you pull your parachute.  It may twist the lines and cause your parachute to malfunction temporarily or permanently.  Its important to practice your pull sequences until you learn to maintain a heading while pulling to ensure best potential for a successful canopy deployment.

A great jump and another soft landing in designated landing area!  I wish I could do another jump today but I haven't the time... I haven't even left yet and already I can't wait to return next weekend!  My next few jumps will be with the company of only one instructor as I begin to learn flying maneuvers.  First maneuver is left and right belly spins.  My next jump will be number 4 and its exciting to know that i'm half way to my solo jump (#8)

No comments:

Post a Comment