Monday, January 14, 2013

Skydive AFF Jump #2

After experiencing the first jump, I am now aware of whats about to happen from ground up and back again.  Its been said that a lot of people don't remember their first few jumps due to the intensity but I absorbed every bit of my first free fall and remember it well.  I must say that the plane ride up was a little more intense but still very exciting and fun.  Again the calm nature of the other jumpers some how eases the tension and allows you to feel safe knowing that a lot of these people make 5-6 jumps a day all summer long without problems.

 This jumps objective is the same as the first.  Observe and execute proper exit technique, check altimeter, 3 practice pulls as 2 instructors are holding on to you.

 A green light turns on, after feeling the aircraft decrease in speed, indicating that its time to open the door and exit.  Adrenaline increase silences my surroundings allowing allowing me to hear and feel my heartbeat.  I am calm as I approach the door with an instructor on each side of me.  I grab the door jam, one hand inside the plane one hand outside, and find solid foot position.  At this point in time, I'm half way in the door and half way out.  The wind coming from ahead is 100 mph or greater and wants to pull you right out of the plane.

 I start exit sequence...

1.  -I turn to my right side instructor "CHECK IN"- he gives me a thumbs up
     -I turn to my left side instructor "CHECK OUT"- she gives me a thumbs up
2.  -I turn to the front of the plane, looking forward and start my count.
     -"PROP" -
     -"UP" (while standing up a little)
     -"DOWN" (while bring the body back down)
     -"OUT" (slowly stepping out of the door facing the wind)
The purpose of the *up *down *out technique is due to the high winds and required helmets worn during flight, its hard to hear anyone speak to you so the up, down, out acts as a 1, 2, 3 that you can see with your body rather than hearing it out loud.  This way, the instructor outside of the plane that may or may not be able to see the instructor on the inside of the plane know exactly when to jump for a proper exit and fall with stability.

We exit nicely and are falling with stability.  I am smiling from ear to ear as I turn to my right instructor, he gives me thumbs up.  Then to my left instructor, she give me a thumbs up.  I check my altimeter and we are 11,000 ft.  I practice pulling my chute 3 times and am comfortable knowing where the ball is located behind me. I check my altimeter now at 9,000 ft.  I am now to check my altimeter ever 3-5 seconds until 6,000 ft where I am to watch my altitude fall to 5,500 ft, wave off and pull my chute.  The purpose of waving off is to warn anyone who may be falling above you that your about to pull.  As you pull, your speed decreases rapidly and if someone falling above you doesn't know your about to pull, it could cause a major collision in air and have serious consequences.  Always wave off!

I can see so many mountains from up here.  The sky is blue and the air is warm and for a moment, mine to enjoy as I forget to even notice that i'm falling at over 120 mph.  Its simply amazing.  Once under my properly deployed canopy, I am alone.  Just me and view.  I reach up and grab my right and left toggles (meant for steering and speed control) and begin to turn slowly to the left to get the full panoramic view of the world.  What an amazing experience and to think that someone once decided to create a parachute and hurl themselves out of a plane!  Thanx dude :)

A voice on the other end of the radio attached to my chest brings me back to reality as i'm talked down in my decent.  I've softly landed on my feet both jumps so far and as i'm congratulated by my instructors, I can literally NOT wait to jump again.  So what do I do?... Jump again :)

#3 here we go :)                                                                                                   jumps made on 9/16/12

No comments:

Post a Comment