Monday, January 14, 2013

Skydive AFF Jump #4

9/22/12
The weekend finally came and I am excited to make a few jumps in the lasting summer weather, but I can only make 1 jump today.

Todays jump's objectives are:
-Exit aircraft with only one instructor
-Practice one pull sequence
-if i'm to remain stable, the instructor will let go and move in front of me face to face.
-He nods and i'm to make a 90 degree turn to my left
-Check altimeter
-Turn back 90 degrees to face instructor and make eye contact
-Check altimeter
-Instructor nods and I make a 90 degree turn in the opposite direction
-Check altimeter
-Turn back 90 degrees and face instructor again

If enough time is still available before pulling altitude, your instructor will have you repeat the process.

As we make our way up through the clouds, discussing arm position for responsive turning maneuvers, I'm nervous for its been a week since my last jump and the absence of an instructor on the outside of the plane is leaving me to approach the door first, while the instructor holds on your right side which in jump position is inside the plane.

Prop
Up
Down
Out

And as we exit the plane, I feel my instructor dive  down pulling me out of my belly position.  For several seconds we are falling with no control and what your taught to do is ARCH your body the best you can and as I did so, the instructor was able to find us a stable position.  I look at my instructor with eyes of fear and say "woooo."  My instructor laughs, nods, lets go and moves in front as we execute the jump objectives listed above.

I'm nervous as we approach pull altitude because I want to have a successful pull.  Without disrupting my body's position and maintaing a solid heading from wave off to full deployment.  As altitude came (4,500 ft), I was focused as I waved off and pulled.  It was flawlessly executed and as my canopy opened, I yelled with my success! "WOOO HOOOO"

I hear my instructors voice on the radio say "Its all you bud.  I'll correct you if I need to but lets see if you can get down on your own.  Just follow the landing pattern according to the wind's direction," as learned in class and practiced throughout your previous landings.

As I approach 1000 feet, I leave the "holding area" a designated area, depending on the wind, where you want to remain under canopy until you begin your landing pattern.  At 1000 ft, you are to head downwind passing your landing target one either side.  At 600ft, you are to cut across the wind with a 90 degree turn, until your target is directly to your landing side.  At 300 ft, you are to turn another 90 degrees upwind heading you directly toward your landing target.  By pulling both toggles down to your chest, you will feel the canopy slow down and descend with less horizontal travel.  By leaving both toggles all the way up above your head, you feel the canopy speed up with more horizontal travel.

I'm learning and improving and as I make my final approach to the ground, I'm satisfied to know that my landing required no radio assistance.  My exit was bit sketchy but knowing how to improve it leaves me anxious for tomorrow where I will have more time for a couple jumps!  The objectives of the next jump are the same at exit but during free fall I will be executing full 360 degree belly spins in both directions.  And the jump that follows that includes flips and I can't begin to describe in words how FLIPPING excited I am to come back!  Pun definitely intended :)

AFF Level 4 - success :)

No comments:

Post a Comment